The day started like any other, but quickly spiraled into chaos when that car veered off the road and hit you. Within a matter of seconds, your life went in a different direction entirely. Because of your injuries, you couldn’t go to work. You lost your job. The hospital started calling you, asking for money you don’t even have. Insurance isn’t helping you out, either.
This scenario is a common one, and is one of the most common ways people find themselves in need of a car accident attorney. At the law offices of Scott Senft, we’ve heard a plethora of stories involving serious life-changing problems after a car crash.
Choosing your car accident lawyer is a matter that can make or break your case. The same can be said about hiring one. If you’re currently struggling with the aftermath of a car accident that resulted in injury, you’re probably wondering what you can do to make the case easier on you. If so, this guide is for you.
First Things First
Before you even look for a car crash injury lawyer, you need to have a good account of what happened in the accident. This means that you will need to be able to recall:
- Where the accident happened. A brief description of the area probably won’t be enough. You will need to have the street, date, and time of the accident.
- Car makes and models involved. If multiple cars were involved, it’s important
- Who was present. If your accident resulted in injury, police were called. You can get accident information from the police department that can to the crash. They will give you a full account of the officers present, responsible drivers, as well as witnesses.
- What was hurt. This information can be received from your hospital. If another individual was injured, don’t worry. A car accident personal injury attorney will be able to subpoena for that information later on.
- Details that led to the car accident. If you can recall anything that could have contributed to the accident, it’s a good idea to write it down in case you forget later on.
Having these details will help you when you discuss the case with a car accident injury lawyer. The more detail you have, the easier it will be to work through the case.
Searching For A Car Accident Injury Attorney
The next step to getting the right lawyer is to search for a car accident law firm that can handle your case. When searching, make sure to look for their qualifications, their track record, as well as their reputation with former clients.
When you find a firm that looks like it can represent you well, give them a call and ask for a consultation. This will give you a chance to explain the case, get a feel for the lawyer in question, and make an educated decision on your choice.
What To Do During The Consultations
Your consultation with a car accident injury attorney is a lot like a job interview. You need to figure out whether you want to hire them and they need to figure out whether they’re willing to take the case. This means you will need to do the following:
- Explain the overall situation to them and why you feel you need a lawyer. If you are concerned of being blamed for the accident, you need to bring this up. If you were injured, explaining what happened afterward is a must.
- Ask them if they’ve had experience with similar cases. Though past wins won’t guarantee a successful case, they will give you a better idea on your lawyer’s qualifications. More experience means a better chance of success.
- Ask them for advice. Is this a case worth pursuing? Is there anything you can do in the meantime? Any advice they give you should be followed while you make a decision.
- Keep an eye out for how you feel with the lawyer in question. You want to hire a lawyer who is passionate and interested in your case–as well as you as a person. If you get the feeling that you’re just a paycheck or that the lawyer seems distracted, it’s best not to hire them.
- If they ask for more details, provide them. This is where having the details on hand can be a huge help.
- Ask them for their rates. Though money should not be your top priority, it’s still good to know for your budgeting shake.
From the consultation, the lawyer will make a decision on whether or not to take the case. If they are willing, make note of it and shop around until you have at least three law firms you can choose from.
Make Your Hiring Decision
After reviewing all your options and getting a better understanding of each car accident law firm, the next step is to hire the lawyer you feel is best equipped for the case. At our law firm, we understand what a huge decision this is.
Take your time when choosing a lawyer, and always reach out for the ones that are willing to work with you. Our office’s main goal is to help those who need legal assistance during a serious crash. If you have any questions, we are here to help. Give our office a call today, and let us steer you to a better future.