There is no food in the world that can single-handedly improve your health. So, you need to eat a variety of healthy fruits and vegetables to maintain good health. According to Matthew Davies, we should include many superfoods in our diet as they are healthier than normal food.
Here are some superfoods that claim to do amazing things:
- Dark Leafy greens – Dark leafy greens are an excellent source of nutrients that include folate, zinc, calcium, iron, magnesium, Vitamin C, etc. Dark leafy greens can reduce the risk of chronic illness that includes heart disease as well as Type 2 diabetes. Dark leafy green vegetables also contain a high level of anti-inflammatory compounds which are called carotenoids. Some of the well-known dark leafy vegetables are kale, Swiss chard, Collard greens, Spinach, etc.
- Berries – Berries are superfoods that are rich in vitamins, minerals, fibers, and antioxidants. Berries help to reduce the risk of heart disease, cancer, and any kind of inflammatory condition. Apart from that, berries are also helpful in treating the digestive system as well as disorders that are related to the immune system. Some of the common berries are raspberries, strawberries, blueberries, blackberries, cranberries, etc.
- Green Tea – Green tea is a lightly caffeinated beverage that has a wide range of medicinal properties. Apart from that, green tea is highly rich in antioxidants and polyphenolic compounds and it also has strong anti-inflammatory effects. Thus, green tea helps to reduce several chronic diseases such as heart disease, diabetes, and cancer. Green tea also contains a combination of catechin and caffeine that helps in reducing body weight.
- Eggs – Eggs are healthy food that have a high nutritional value. Eggs contain vitamin B, chlorine, selenium, vitamin A, iron, and phosphorus. Eggs also contain two potent antioxidants along with zeaxanthin and lutein which helps in protecting the vision and eye health. Consumption of eggs can also increase the good HDL cholesterol which may reduce the risk of heart disease.
- Legumes – Legume is another superfood that is rich in Vitamin B, various minerals, and fibers. Legumes are also rich in proteins. Regular consumption of legumes can reduce the risk of several diseases such as blood pressure, cholesterol, and Type 2 diabetes. It also has the ability to improve the feeling of fullness and thus, helps to promote healthy weight management.
- Nuts and seeds – Nuts and seeds are also termed superfoods as they are highly beneficial to health and rich in fiber, vegetarian protein, and heart-healthy fats. Consuming seeds and nuts can help you to protect yourself from oxidative stress. Apart from that, the consumption of seeds and nuts can also prevent or reduce the risk of heart diseases. Some common seeds and nuts are almonds, peanuts, cashew nuts, Brazil nuts, etc.
According to Matthew Davies, you can suffer from various types of diseases and illnesses if your body doesn’t get proper nutrition. So, it is important to consume superfoods along with other healthy foods.