Adenoids are components of Waldeyer’s ring which is also known as the tonsils. Tonsils are lymphoid tissues which means that they are structures that play a vital role in body defence mechanisms. Waldeyer’s ring is made up of palatine tonsils, pharyngeal tonsils, tubal tonsils, and lingual tonsils. People always use the term tonsils referring to palatine tonsils and because of that, the removal of palatine tonsils is known as tonsillectomy while removal of the adenoids is known as adenoidectomy. Both surgeries can be done individually or as a combination. Adenoids Treatments in Kuala Lumpur are available for you and your family to deal with adenoids related problems.
Tonsils removal surgery and adenoid removal surgery are both common procedures done in children. Tonsillectomy and adenoidectomy are less common in adults. Many pieces of literature and researches done are based on children and teenagers as the diseases of tonsils are commonly affecting younger age groups. The two main factors before tonsils removal surgery or adenoid removal surgery can be done are:
Obstruction and infection are both indications for adenoids or tonsils removal. Obstruction can affect the airway or the digestive tract or both. Breathing will be affected if the obstruction affects the airways and swallowing will be impaired if the digestive tract is involved. Recurrent or chronic infections of the middle ear, mastoid air cells, nose, nasopharynx, adenoids, paranasal sinuses, oropharynx, tonsils, peritonsillar tissues, and cervical lymph nodes will require surgical intervention. Tonsils problems in children will usually get better with the increase in age. Other factors to consider before removal of the adenoids or tonsils are:
- Whether the benefits outweigh the risks
- Natural progression and course of the disease
- Frequency and severity of symptoms
- Other clinical factors
- The preferences of the patient and family
- The response towards antibiotics and supportive therapy
- Whether daily routines are impaired or not
- Access to health care services
- Financial status
- Availability of surgical services
The adenoids usually affect people by causing nasal blocking as a consequence of adenoids swelling or hypertrophy. Other diseases of the adenoids are rhinosinusitis, eustachian tube dysfunction, otitis media (middle ear infection), or adenoids infection.
Nasal obstruction due to adenoids will cause patients to have mouth-breathing, impaired smell sensation, and hyponasal speech. The hyponasal speech takes place because of too little air exiting the nose and mouth which disrupts the speech.
There are three categories which are contraindicated for tonsillectomy or adenoidectomy. They are:
Abnormalities which results in velopharyngeal insufficiency are cleft palate and neuromuscular abnormalities. Blood disorders like anaemia are also contraindicated for adenoidectomy or tonsillectomy. Surgeries should not be done if there is a local active infection.
Tonsils removal surgery and adenoid removal surgery together are done in conditions like:
- Obstructive sleep apnoea
- Recurrent throat infections ( ≥5 episodes in each of two years, ≥7 episodes in one year, or ≥3 episodes in each of three years)
- Tonsillar obstruction of the oropharynx that affect swallowing
- A tonsillar obstruction that alters voice
- Malignant tumour of the tonsil
- Uncontrollable haemorrhage from tonsillar blood vessels
- Halitosis, refractory to other measures
- Chronic tonsillitis unresponsive to antibiotics treatment
Adenoids Treatments in Kuala Lumpur are available for you or your child to heal from any adenoids diseases. Treatments are all evidence-based intervention and proven effectiveness following legit researches.