Home Improvement

4 Common Do-It-Yourself Mold Removal Mistakes To Avoid

What comes to your mind the moment you detect the presence of molds in your home? Well, most people will immediately reach for soap and scrub to try and eliminate the molds. However, this is not the best approach as it may lead to potential hazards. If you want to clear the molds yourself, you definitely want to do it the right way. However, if you are doing it for the first time, you are likely to commit a lot of mistakes. To help you out, here is a quick overview of some of the mistakes that you should avoid.

  1. Trying to remove only the visible side of the molds

When cleaning mold-infested wall paneling or flooring, many homeowners make the mistake of only concentrating on parts with visible mold.  You should know that mold is a very sneaky problem and only cleaning the areas that you can see isn’t enough. You need to dig deeper—around 1-3 feet of the affected material—beyond what’s visible. Besides, more permanent mold removal is often achieved by addressing all the trouble spots.

  1. Using Bleach to clean molds

Most homeowners believe that bleaching can kill fungi. This is not true. The bleach only changes the color of the mold to a white shade. So, by using bleach to get rid of molds, you will only be aiding their growth and probably exposing your household to airborne mold spores and bleach fumes, which are all hazardous.

Instead of bleach, use borax. Mix one cup of borax with about 1 gallon of hot water. Apply the mixture to the affected areas. Avoid using the solution on porous surfaces like drywall as they can easily absorb water and worsen mold growth.

  1. Keeping items that should be discarded

While it is easier to eliminate mold from non-porous surfaces like metal, porcelain, or glass, it can be challenging to remove them from soft materials like upholstery, carpet, drywall, or insulation because they tend to penetrate these materials. So, if an item is severely damaged by mold, consider disposing it off. If you are not sure whether you can salvage an item after mold infestation, consult a local mold remediation service for a more professional input.

  1. Exposing yourself to mold spores

Mold exposure is often associated with allergic reactions, especially in sensitive people. Even non-allergic people have reported nose, eye, throat, lung and skin irritations from inhaling or simply touching mold. Considering that the cleanup process shakes up mold spores, there are high chances of exposing yourself to harmful health effects if you don’t protect yourself adequately. Consider wearing gloves, shoe covers, N95 respirator mask, and safety glasses anytime you decide to clear molds yourself.

There you have it; a few mistakes that you should avoid when you opt for DIY mold removal. Hopefully, the tips will help you clear molds in your home safely. Alternatively, hire a mold removal expert to help you remove the molds in a more professional way.

Show More

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button
Close